Shreveport-Bossier is a city of vibrant culture and entrepreneurial spirit. This Black History Month, we want to spotlight the Black-owned businesses that add unique flavor and character to our community. From delectable dishes to side-splitting laughs, these establishments are testaments to the talent, resilience and creativity of the Shreveport-Bossier Black community.
Fueling Your Day with Flavor:
- Want coffee and good vibes? The Brown Vibe Coffeehouse is woman-owned and offers a cozy, Instagram-worthy atmosphere with vintage décor. Their mouthwatering menu features craft coffee and fruity concoctions, signature chicken and waffles, and more.
- Jeneral's Bar and Grill is an upscale sports bar that opened in 2022 in downtown Shreveport. Jeneral’s offers an extensive menu of mouthwatering burgers, juicy sandwiches, crisp salads, and more— all crafted with fresh ingredients and bold flavors. Follow them on Facebook to catch one of their drink specials!
- Let the gentle breeze and waterfront views of the Red River set the stage for an unforgettable dining experience at Cassandra's on the River. Cassandra's on the River is a local, Louisiana-style restaurant dedicated to serving up authentic Cajun and Creole cuisine in Shreveport, LA.
- For North Louisiana cuisine, head to Us Up North and enjoy a curated experience from Chef Hardette Harris, a culinary trailblazer and James Beard Award semifinalist for ‘Best Chef: South.’ Us Up North celebrates the unique tradition of North Louisiana, featuring fried catfish, collard greens, cornbread and more.
- Try West African and Caribbean cuisine at Niema’s Cookery Corner, located inside Sunshine Health Market. Chef Niema Longstratt creates a world of vibrant spices with authentic savory jollof rice, jerk chicken and hearty stews bursting with flavor.
- Pop N Pizza serves delicious made-to-order pizzas and more in Downtown Shreveport. Their menu features classic pizzas with all your favorite toppings, as well as specialty pizzas. Be sure to try their famous Injected Breadsticks when stopping by!
- Earnestly Tootie's, helmed by 2x Prize Fest Golden Fork winner Chef Tootie Morrison, is a Southern American Style Restaurant with a spin on classic flavors! Try the crispy shrimp and grit balls drizzled in house-made creole cream sauce or get the jerk chicken and cinnamon roll waffles for an amazing salty and sweet combo.
- Orlandeaux's overlooking Cross Lake is a true local legend. It is the oldest, continuously operating Black family-owned restaurant in the country. Chef Damien Chapeaux, the third-generation owner, keeps the classic Southern culinary traditions alive while infusing them with contemporary flair. The menu is a symphony of Creole and Southern flavors, featuring must-try classics like stuffed shrimp and fried chicken.
Unleash your creative side:
- Embark on a sensory journey to LiquidScentz & Beyond Candle Bar, a small black-owned Candle Co. founded by two best friends. Transform into an expert candle maker crafting personalized fragrances that capture the essence of your unique style.
- Unleash your inner artist at Artipsy, a paint-and-sip studio where you can create masterpieces with an option to enjoy delectable cocktails. Blend colors and experiment with brushstrokes as you bond over good music, shared laughter, and newfound artistic talents. Stay up to date on their ticketed events by following them on Facebook, or visiting the SBFunGuide.
- Get your groove on at JOSH Lounge, where the vibe is always electric, and the music keeps you dancing all night. JOSH Lounge (JOSH stands for "Jazz Old School Heritage") is a nightclub featuring jazz and R&B music, live DJs and bands. Located in downtown Shreveport near the Shreveport Convention Center.
- Need a good laugh? Check out the Laugh Out Loud Comedy Club, located at 618 Commerce Street in downtown Shreveport. The venue will feature the best local comedians with special appearances by national headliners.
Discover more black-owned businesses HERE!
Have something to add to this list? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.